FW: Partial relationships was Verituner spinner

Alan Forsyth alanforsyth@fortune4.fsnet.co.uk
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 02:50:39 +0100

Hi,

Further to Ron N's query and my previous reply, I have fished out the
data I
originally had on this and have decided that I must amend my previous
statement. This should now be; The gaps between the partials decrease
as the
tension of the strings is raised, as well as the partials frequencies
increasing BUT it is the rate of change that is crucial; the rate of
acceleration actually DECREASES. When the data is plotted on a graph,
the
curve starts to flatten out as the tension of the strings is raised.

I have attached the following;

Graph 1 which shows the gap between the partials decreasing as the pitch
increases. In other words their spacing tends to converge.

Graph 2 which shows the rate of increase in partial deviation ( or
inharmonicity - hate that word -) slowing down and this is quite
dramatic as
the tension is raised to almost breaking point. The +2 semitone line
(the
black dotted one) goes completely wild compared with the others.

Table 1 which contains the raw data from which the above graphs were
eventually compiled with a lot of intermediate calculations and
analysis.

This unfortunately was all done before I became computerised, hence the
jpegs and not spreadsheets.

Hope this is of interest.

Regards
Alan Forsyth.