Partials change with tension?...was Verituner Spinner

Don pianotuna@accesscomm.ca
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 08:41:43

Hi Michael,

There is a very good indication that inharmonicity is affected by the
soundboard and by changes in humidity levels causing the stiffness of the
board to change. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts to you it is
even possible that on occaision this will cause inharmonicity to be a
negative rather than a positive number. No one has, to my knowledge, done a
"scientific" experiment to equate a particular percentage change in
humidity to a corresponding inharmonicity reading. However, there are 15
years of FAC readings from Sandeson accutuners that show variations in
inharmonicity depending on time of year--pitch correction, and probably
bends in the wire. There is data from Reyburn Cyber tuner which indicates
that voicing may also affects inharmonicity or at least the relative
strength of different partials (which is what voicing is all about imho).