Partials change with tension?...was Verituner Spinner

Fri, 17 Oct 2003 11:27:20 +0100

Hello Joe Garrett
This idea that the harmonics change in a given string during tuning and/or
pitch change needs really clarifying. It is easy to confuse "tension" and
"stretching" and "pitch" - like going into the supermarket and finding two
similar items yet one is calculated in cents per kilo and the other in cents
per pound. In the UK we have that problem - par extremis - so maybe we
should accept that "tension" and "stretching" come under the heading
"Scientific" and "pitch" under the heading of "Tuning" ( or even "Artistic"
if you like) Then: You increase the pitch (in Hz) of a string and the
consequence must be an increase (in Hz) in its harmonics according to the
ordinary rules of science. If this is not the case I, for one, would like to
hear the proof! ;-)
Regards
Michael G (UK)