Private post/Steinway Tone Bell

John Hartman [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015] [link redacted at request of site owner - Jul 25, 2015]
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:30:08 -0400

Michael Gamble wrote:
> Hello John Hartman
> That's a good pic of the underside. I see just what you're talking about.
> Tell me - is this "Pulsator" attached to the soundboard as well as to the
> bars? I agree, they must have had a reason for its introduction. Any ideas
> when it was introduced and is it still used? And to thin down the bars just
> before it... It's wierd... It's not that it's under the Bass bridge
> either... :-|
> Regards

Michael,

It is glued to the ribs. There are 1/4" dowels that go through it and
the ribs into the soundboard panel. It is make of hard maple about 1/4"
thick. You find these on the B model steinways. The D has a cut off bar
instead. Also Mason and Hamlin used it on some of their BB models. Do
you see many old Mason and Hamlins over there?

The earliest I have seen are on Bs from about 1880. Before that a
cut-off bar was used on most every Steinway grand I have seen. It is
still used on the B.

John Hartman RPT

John Hartman Pianos
Rebuilding Steinway and Mason & Hamlin