Soundboards: Thickness and Area

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 20:59:40 EDT

In a message dated 10/13/2003 10:19:04 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
michael@gambles.fsnet.co.uk writes:
Hello all
Since the last stab at RC vs CC got so hot under the collar and the knives
were clearly out, let's try going back to fundamentals. Just how thick is a
soundboard?  Is the thickness related to the area? Presumably the number of ribs
are related to the area? Is it curved on both sides like a violin?..... OK?
Regards to all
Michael
  Michael
  Since no one took a poke at this... There are no hard and fast rules for
sound board thicknesses. If you took out the old boards in 5 Steinways of any
give model you'd find some way thicker or thinner than the others but with a
general range or parameter. I've measured a 70's CD S&S B with a soundboard max.
thickness of .310 in the middle as S&S & other are generally thinned around
the edges for flexibility (diaphramized as S&S says)  That would be considered
thin for a B. On the other hand I've seem them as thick as .375 ish. The thin
one sounded totally awesome & I was surprised it wasn't a "thin" sounding
piano. In my work I'd be using Sitka panels &  opt for something about .340 to.360.
For smaller models thinner is fine, .300 to .325ish. By the way You own an A
I'm told & I've found it common for them to be .350 ish. Ds & Mason BBs can be
as thick as .400. Not sure this more than incidental trivia but you asked.
  Regards--Dale Erwin