Private post/Steinway Tone Bell

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Fri, 17 Oct 2003 21:54:20 EDT

In a message dated 10/17/03 9:40:50 AM, Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

>=20
> Michael
>=20
>  =A0=A0=A0=A0 The tone bell & =A0pulsator I asked John about are not the s=
ame thing.=20
> The pulsator is merely a thin strip of maple about 25 mm wide by 7 mm thic=
k by=20
> 6 cm long. Depending on the year this feature intersects 3 to 5=20
> ribs.=A0Looking under the piano at the board of a S&S B & C=A0you'll see i=
t in the bass=20
> corner. It runs 90 Degrees to the ribs and is glued/dowelled to the ribs.=20=
The ribs=20
> are also thinned out & seem to terminate somewhat=A0at this point even tho=
ught=20
> he thinned out flatter portions extend to & are glued into notches in the=20
> rasten/inner rim.=A0As John said it appears to be an idea that functions l=
ike a=20
> cutoff bar but I'm thinking it may have an effect hard to quantify. Surely=
=20
> they had a reason.
>=20
>  =A0 The bell is just a plate stiffening device. A short beam from the bel=
ly=20
> rail to the case in the same area would allow for another nose bolt that c=
ould=20
> take the place of the bell. I cant say the bell has any effect in and of=20
> itself to influence tone but does stiffen the plate web where it attaches=20
> thereby influencing tone.=A0There must be a modest down force of the bell=20=
bolt to do=20
> so which by the way will increase the downbearing a small amount (tone=20
> effect)=A0These bolts also seem to come loose from time to time and cause=20=
a weird=20
> rattle.
>=20
>  =A0Does that help?--Dale
>=20
>=20

This reference to the "bell" brings to mind a question I have long had. S&S=20
piano plates are sometimes billed as cupola plates. Does this refer to the=20
shape of the stress holes in the plate, or to Steinway's use of a shop cupol=
a=20
furnace to produce sufficient amounts of molten iron for the larger plate ?