Action Work on the bench/Michael

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Sat, 18 Oct 2003 03:34:20 +0200

Hi Michael,

Using water on a flange should firm the bushing temporarly, but
certainly not in the long run.
The mix 95% water -5% alcool is used at Renner's factory to help
centers that are too tight, and obtain the minimum friction, as for
hammers (2-3 g)
The mix 30% water 70 %alcohol is used to free pinnings that shoud stay
more firm as for wippen, dampers, etc.
The drying is made naturally (no heat)unless in a hurry.

When a center have play, it is more probable that the bushing is worn
more than the center - indeed the center also have wear, and we should
try to stick with one size more only (even half sizes if available),
but reusing the same size than original seem to me the open door for
future extra play.

Another thing is that the good centering of the axe in the flange is
important, using the long centers (do you use these in England ?)
helps for that, because the center take well its definitive position
while pulled thru the part and flange, more easely than a short pre
cut center.

Is your climate on the humid side most of the time ?
If so, when taking an action in a dry workshop, the pinning should be
done more free, it takes a week for the parts to stabilize one way or
another, things to take in account for repinning jobs, one of the most
difficult job in piano repair I believe.

Best Regards

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.

PianoTech