Fw: Partials change with tension?...was Verituner Spinner

Sun, 19 Oct 2003 16:47:38 +0100

Hello Isaac
You have "hit the nail on the head". During the Opera Season here I have to
be careful not to overbook my private clients for, more often as not, the
Opera suddenly needs me for a rehearsal tuning. A Harpsichord in a rehearsal
stage or a piano in the green room or wherever. I look back at my diaries
with total horror now, for I used to tune anything between 8 or 10 pianos a
day for five days a week and sometimes, in schools, 14 pianos a day - if I
can get at them and the venue is unlocked! Now I am semi-retired. Taking it
a bit easier. Able to chat on this site and exchange views and opinions.
That's nice. My last tuning for this season is next Friday. Idomeneo - a
Harpsichord. Then I and my little family are going to our holiday house on
the North Norfolk coast for a week. There I have a little Yamaha upright
which is sadly out of tune when we arrive. But I do nothing to it. Do you
know what? This little piano gets used to our being there and, as the
temperature rises, it tunes itself! The last thing I did to my model A
(1914) was to change the rollers (knuckles to US!) they were thoriginal ones
and sadly mishaped. I got a set of Helmut Abel's 10mm "Hammerrollen" and put
them on. Now the piano feels very good. I have been struggling with a
Grotrian-Steinweg 225 yesterday. The key-dip had gone down to 9mm so I had
to remove the action and put in 0.3mm punchings to every key. This restored
it to its former glory (after the essential regulation of drop and letoff)
Interestingly this piano is 1991 vintage and when delivered the hammer rise
was horrifically fast. I commented on this at the time. Now, 12 years later,
many of the hammers have NO hammer rise and I have had to do much
strengthening of the double winged jack springs. This instrument has no
spring assist, though there is the provision for the spring - you know, the
two perforated ears on the check end of the lever (whippen to US!) so the
playing weight is about 50 - 52 gms. Following all these adjustments I am
very keen to hear what the professional pianists say. Up until now the piano
had been considered "unresponsive".... We shall see.
I guess you have picked up my "Quadrant System" by now? If not I'll post it
again for your perusal and comment.
Kindest regards
Michael G (UK- across the Channel)