Steinway D key levelling (Hamburg model)

Cy Shuster 741662027@charter.net
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 11:37:48 -0500

Thanks, Michael.  I would expect those instructions from Steinway, since
their keybed itself is crowned, right?  But I guess that answers my
question: Steinway, at least, feels that it's better for the keys to be
convex some of the time rather than concave at any time.

The Sept. 2003 issue of the (US) PTG Journal has on its back cover step 12
of Yamaha's 37 regulation steps.  It specifies that the keys must form a
straight, level line parallel to the keybed.

The issue of "how much back weight" is interesting.  It's similar to the
question of how much weight to use when measuring key dip.  Can there really
be that much more force if the weight is hung behind the backcheck rather
than in front of it?  Surely it's proportional to the distance of the weight
to the balance rail -- 10 or 20%?  A steel rule doesn't sound like much
weight.  Hmm -- I guess the correct answer would be "just as much weight as
the action applies at rest"...

--Cy Shuster--
Rochester, MN