Steinway D key levelling (Hamburg model)

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 12:36:16 -0500

Cy,

If you look at the action from the side, you'll see that the backcheck is
nearly centered over the backrail felt.  So putting the weight behind the
backcheck  causes the backrail felt to act like a pivot, actually
un-weighting the balance rail.   Putting the weight in front of the balance
rail causes  positive weighting of the balance rail, which is closest to
the "real-world".    With 90 grams of weight, placed 3/4" either side of
the pivot point, the difference in weighting at the balance rail 8" away
would be 17 grams.   The other way of looking at it is, since the top
action rests on the capstain, the leveling weights should be placed as
close as possible to the capstain, which would be the front side of the
backsheck.  Not to mention that there is often no room for the weights
behind the backchecks, due to  interference with belly rail or
damper/sostenuto stuff.

hope this helps

Mike