Henry F Miller grand info needed

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Sun, 19 Oct 2003 22:17:06 -0400

At 8:36 AM -0400 10/19/03, Tom Driscoll wrote:
>When you pull the action,look to the right of the damper action.
>Most older- made in Wakefield Mass.-- Millers have a paper label with
>the serial # printed on it. Lots of them up here in Mass!
>	Tom Driscoll RPT

They were very well made pianos, maybe a little eccentric at times
(as some Boston manufacturers were).  I've seen plenty of Millers and
Ivors&Ponds in such excellent shape for all their decades that they
seem to be a representation of what they were like originally. The
Millers were nearly always much better sounding, more resonant pianos
than the I&Ps.

I've got one among my customers, with just your size and vintage. It
would be a good candidate for a restringing. (It's long bridge is
narrower than it is tall.)

Which is to say that if it is in good condition (not baked or
otherwise abused), it may likely have the potential for a piano owner
of improving considerably with a small amount of fresh material. But
if the owner is budgeting her life on being able to liquidate the
piano for $2500, she might not get to do it until a year from now.
Such buyers who would recognize the value of this piano might also
prefer to pay as little as possible so as to afford a rebuilding.

Your prices are very useable. Tell her that she's good just as good a
chance of finding a buyer as do you, and inform up front of your
offer. In addition to your offer she should know such what its
liabilities are. (It doesn't sound in the condition I'm used to for
Millers. I'd beware.) Just how much are you willing to do. How about
say, a new pinblock?

Let us know when you get to see it again.

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"Lady, this piano is what it is, I am what I am, and you are what you are"
     ...........From a recurring nightmare.