SV: Soundboards: Thickness and Area

Kjell Sverre Fardal ksfardal@online.no
Tue, 21 Oct 2003 00:21:25 +0200

Hi, Richard

The pictures that mr. Steingraeber showed at the convention were of a
soundboard already installed in the piano, with the rim and everything.
He told us that he used a "plastic-hammer" to knock on the bridges. He
also told us that they thinned the board by sanding it.

But it was the last lecture at the last day of the convention, so you
may be excused.... :)

Kjell Sverre Fardal
NPTF / Norway

-----Opprinnelig melding-----
Fra: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] På
vegne av Richard Brekne
Sendt: 20. oktober 2003 20:03
Til: Pianotech
Emne: Re: Soundboards: Thickness and Area

I'll have to check on the specifics. Tho I believe the assembly was in
the piano for the proceedure. Just where and how they thin to get the
desired results, he didnt have time to go into, tho I will see if I can
find this out. Kevin Gouldman is an American builder in Danmark and
knows Uddo Steingræber fairly well, and I believe he knows very much
about how the Steingræber factory does this... so I'll ask him as soon
as I can get to it.

Cheers
RicB

--