Soundboards: Thickness and Area

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:27:48 EDT

In a message dated 10/20/03 10:45:39 AM, Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

> You're asking the hard technical questions. My engineer friend say that=20
> when his friends get picky with details the comment is "hey your not build=
ing a=20
> piano ya know" I take that as a compliment. In this case we are=A0but=20
> fortunately board thinning isn't a mystery. It however helps to=A0have an=
=A0organized=20
> approach to thinning. If you ask 5 belly guys how they do it you'll get fi=
ve=20
> different answers.
>=20

Dale,
and I do hope you took my comment as the compliment it was intended. I am=20
almost overwhelmed by the degree of detail people on the list have to offer.=
=20
Since the last post I have acquired a depth mike and I intend to cut one of=20=
the=20
spindles down to almost nothing to see if this will penetrate the board with=
out=20
scarring. I much prefer to work to .005 plus or minus, as long as it doesn't=
=20
cost a ton of time. In the tool trade the common wisdom holds working to the=
=20
next decimal over takes ten times the effort, and you learn to pick your=20
battles.
Glenn C.