Soundboards: Thickness and Area

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 21:39:28 EDT

In a message dated 10/20/2003 6:29:34 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
Crashvalve@aol.com writes:
In a message dated 10/20/03 10:45:39 AM, Erwinspiano@aol.com writes:

You're asking the hard technical questions. My engineer friend say that when
his friends get picky with details the comment is "hey your not building a
piano ya know" I take that as a compliment. In this case we are but fortunately
board thinning isn't a mystery. It however helps to have an organized approach
to thinning. If you ask 5 belly guys how they do it you'll get five different
answers.

Dale,
and I do hope you took my comment as the compliment it was intended. I am
almost overwhelmed by the degree of detail people on the list have to offer.
Since the last post I have acquired a depth mike and I intend to cut one of the
spindles down to almost nothing to see if this will penetrate the board without
scarring. I much prefer to work to .005 plus or minus, as long as it doesn't
cost a ton of time. In the tool trade the common wisdom holds working to the
next decimal over takes ten times the effort, and you learn to pick your battles.
Glenn
     Glenn
  Of course. Thank you & applaud your inquiring mind.
 I use a cheap & simple plastic caliper with a round wire coming out of one
end. Only a small hole is required to put it thru. Of course a finger or some
other object must be applied flush to the other side so the wire stops and a
good reading is taken.
  Dale