Help: Working for Scale

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Mon, 20 Oct 2003 20:49:30 -0500

Alan,

Let me second what Terry said: if it's worth re-stringing, it's worth re-scaling, or at least evaluating the scale.  FWIW, it's not uncommon for the wire size to change several times in the lowest 6 notes of the tenor, depending on the severity of the reverse curve of the bridge.  There's no way to "guess" the best wire size, you gots to do the calculations.

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: Alan
To: Pianotech
Sent: 10/20/2003 12:45:48 PM
Subject: Help: Working for Scale

Need a scale expert's opinion, please.

Restringing a 1903 Haines Bros. beauty. Customer decided to "help" by removing some of the plain-wire strings over the weekend. She also started to clean off the string size notations I had marked (very neatly) on the plate. Fortunately she realized they might be important and stopped this little game.

I can reconstruct the scale remaining marks and my notes for all but the lowest six notes. Starting at the 7th note, the wire size is 19.

Can I assume the unknowns are probably 20's? Shall I just stick some 20-wire in there, see if I can pull it to pitch, and see if the resulting sting tension and sound  is reasonable?

Anyone out there have a Haines of the period?

Alan R. Barnard
Salem, MO

---