Soundboards: Thickness and Area

Isaac sur Noos oleg-i@noos.fr
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 09:18:17 +0200

Hi

My friend Stephen is not convinced that this is not only marketing
stuff.

What kind of information do you obtain with a plastic hammer ?
The zones where the sand does not move are the zone of firmness of the
board, so it does not have much to do with the elasticity regulation.

Eventually, the knock will give a view of the first resonant mode.

Sanding the tone wood is less good than scraping or working with a
rabbit usually, because of the difference of density of the fiber.

Then , not really easy in real life to put the sand, note the aeras,
vacuum, sand the aeras, put back sand, test, note, vacuum, sand, etc
etc.

Far from practicable approach , I seem to remember he say something
abouth the child playing with the sand ;>).

Stephen use a variable frequency generator on the bridge, while
thinning . This also I am unsure what information it can give out of
the different modes appearing.

Greetings.

Isaac OLEG

Entretien et réparation de pianos.