old Steinway ivories

Allen Wright awright440@cinci.rr.com
Thu, 23 Oct 2003 11:34:18 -0400

Interesting, Mark - and thanks for your response.

 I have the feeling that these keys (from a 1920 vertical Steinway) might be
a set like you mention - that maybe what I saw as "scoring" in the wood is
in fact the imprint of the underside of the key. Because if it seems like if
it was a pattern from the linen , the lines wouldn't all be in one
direction, front-to-back, like they are here.

I guess I'll just have to take a perfectly good keytop off and see if
there's any linen underneath. All this is not of great import, of course -
I'm just interested to know if they sometimes did it this way (just using
hide glue) sometimes.

Allen Wright