Tormek jigs for japanese chisels

BobDavis88@aol.com BobDavis88@aol.com
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 00:15:12 EDT

Phil Ford wrote me:

> A while ago there were some posts on pianotech about the Tormek.  You said
> that you had come up with some jigs that worked well for Japanese style
> chisels.  You were going to give us details.  You asked me to remind you if you
> didn't do it.  Well, I'm finally getting around to reminding you.

Hi Phil, and other Tormekkers,

I have several different widths/lengths of Japanese chisels. I just ground
one this morning using the standard plane blade/chisel jig that comes with the
Tormek. The blade part of that chisel was 30mm wide and about 50mm long. I
placed the chisel so the front part of the jig grabbed the very back of  the flat
part of the blade, and the back part of the jig grabbed the tapered round
shaft or whatever it's called. It causes the jig to be slanted front to back, but
there is enough slop in the posts that that doesn't seem to be a problem.
Enough blade sticks out. You can't line up the edge of the tool with the edge of
the jig, but I do it by eye anyway.

I keep forgetting to bring a smaller chisel home from the shop, but I will,
and will report back on it. My memory on it (maybe 12mm wide) is that the
working part is shorter, and it didn't stick out far enough from the standard jig.
I think I used the Short Tool Jig (SVS-32) clamped on the shaft, but I promise
to  get back with you on that one, if I can jog my feeble brain at the end of
the day tomorrow long enough to say, "Unhh, chisel."

Bob