Fw: Baldwin pre-cut string

Fri, 24 Oct 2003 06:04:55 -0700

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Crashvalve@aol.com=20
  To: pianotech@ptg.org=20
  Sent: October 24, 2003 4:42 AM
  Subject: Re: Fw: Baldwin pre-cut string

  In a message dated 10/24/03 5:18:00 AM, michael@gambles.fsnet.co.uk =
writes:

    I challenge you to wrap a string round a wrest-pin where there's an =
agraffe and then hammer the pin into the pin-block without putting a =
kink in the speaking length of the string. If you can do it I'd like to =
know.  ;-)

  This is precisely the point, it is doubtful that a string having been =
dinged or kinked during install or "hooked" to voice, will then =
re-straighten itself with the usual speaking tension. My question =
relates to how does one or how can one straighten a GENTLE curve of the =
string in the critical inch segment before it terminates at the agraffe =
or V-bar. Several techs believe this improves the tone.
  Glenn C. (is for Coleman)=20

I would guess that most of us string pianos all the time without putting =
any noticeable kink out in the speaking length of the wire. Indeed, I =
would say it would take a pretty sloppy stringer to put kinks in the =
wire out in the speaking length of the string. He or she certainly =
wouldn't work in our shop.

There is quite a difference between a kink in the wire -- i.e., abruptly =
bending the wire enough to take the steel beyond its proportional limit =
and putting a permanent bend in the wire -- and the gentle curve =
observed in the wire as it approaches its termination. The extent of =
this curve is a function of the string's stiffness (its diameter) and =
the string deflection angle as it passes either through the agraffe or =
across the V-bar. This bend appears because music wire is not perfectly =
flexible, not because the stringer is putting a kink in the wire. A =
similar, though milder bend can seen as the wire approaches the bridge =
pin offset. Both of these tend to dissipate over time. Or they can be =
straightened out by one of several string leveling techniques. (Check =
the archives for string leveling.) Indeed, in most shops, this string =
leveling is done as a normal part of the stringing operation. Not so =
much because "a straighter wire gives truer harmonics," but because we =
want the hammer to strike all of the strings of the unison =
simultaneously.

Del