Make a soundboard--Measurements

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Fri, 24 Oct 2003 21:28:23 -0400

That's exactly what I have done as wel Dave. Approach also from Del. =
Works great. That way also, when rescaling, you are not restricted by =
the original speaking lengths and bridge shape.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: David Love=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Friday, October 24, 2003 6:26 PM
  Subject: RE: Make a soundboard--Measurements

  The bridge I just did I ended up laying out from scratch rather than =
trying to follow a pattern, an idea I got from Del Fandrich.   I found =
this to be easier and more accurate since I was rescaling and making =
slight alterations to the speaking lengths.  It also allows you to avoid =
duplicating mistakes on the previous layout.  The method I used was to =
first mark on the plate the center string locations on each hitch pin.  =
I used a dummy tuning pin with a string attached (Mazzaglia) which I put =
into the center tuning pin hole on the plate and wrapped the string =
around the corresponding hitch pin.   Eyeball the string in a straight =
line through the capo (or from the agraffe) and over the bridge and make =
a pencil mark right under the string on the front and back of the =
bridge.  Take a small straightedge and draw a line, move to the next =
one.  When you are done look at the overall spacing and make any co! =
rrections to get it looking even.  From there measure your speaking =
lengths and mark on the line the front center pin location.  Using one =
of several three hole punches I also got from Mazzaglia (depending on =
spacing), mark you pin locations.  Measure from the front row to the =
back row at whatever pin spacing you are using and mark the back row =
center pin.  Using the three hole punch, mark the back row.  At that =
point, if you are going to paint graphite on the bridge to, do it then, =
it makes it much easier to see where you are notching if your eyes =
aren't as sharp as they once were, like mine.  Drill your bridge pin =
holes.  Then mark the side of the notch at 90+ degrees (whatever you =
use, I use 93) off the front pin line.  I use a small piece of mylar cut =
at the proper angles which a lay along the pin line.  Look over your =
markings to see that they are evenly spaced.  Cut along the line with a =
small saw to unif! orm depth (don't overshoot the hole, use a chisel for =
that last bit).  Then cut your notches. =20

  I've gone beyond my point a bit, but I found that laying out the =
bridge from scratch eliminated worrying about how precise the pattern =
was and trying to copy it.  I still make the pattern because it gives me =
the location for screws in the top of the bridge when I am gluing down =
the new cap (on an old board), and lets me know generally where I should =
cut my bearing points, and out of habit.  But laying out new gave me =
better results and it may even have been faster. =20

  David Love
  davidlovepianos@earthlink.net

    ----- Original Message -----=20