Fw: Baldwin pre-cut string

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Sat, 25 Oct 2003 12:33:25 EDT

In a message dated 10/25/03 10:44:16 AM, pianobuilders@olynet.com writes:

> I don't know. It's not something I've ever tried to design a test for. It=20
> is common practice to remove all, or at least most, of this curve during=20
> the=A0string leveling operation. And I try to concentrate on things that w=
ill=20
> actually have some measurable influence on piano performance.
>=20
This comment also right to the point and valuable as always del.
I have not tested for curve beyond eyeballing the string, however a small=20
surface plate firmed to the keybed and leveled to the extreme string termina=
tions=20
(obviously high treble easiest) would allow one to then run a surface gauge=20
along a straightedge and actually gauge how much deviation we're batting=20
around. Once done, anything one tried to straighten the string could be then=
 easily=20
checked, but I would say the ear is the final arbitor, what does it matter i=
f=20
you can't hear the difference you make. Trouble is this whole surface plate=20
shebang has to come out to allow action/hammer testing. Sure this whole surf=
ace=20
plate thing seems obsessive/compulsive, but   I think i'll run it anyway and=
=20
report any numbers. further...would an intentional string kink/anomaly be=20
easily heard ?

Glenn C.