tubby bass string replacement tip

Clyde Hollinger cedel@supernet.com
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 06:53:50 -0500

Terry, just substitute "a high quality instrument" for "Steinway" and I
think you'll get what Tom meant.  He just mentioned Steinway because we
are more likely to run into them.  Picking that name to represent
quality instruments seems logical to me.  I think he was expecting to be
flamed because of the idea of maybe leaving in the piano a string of the
wrong size.

Tom, are you aware that there are universal strings available larger
than #1?  Schaff has sizes 01 through 06 with outside diameters going up
to .194, but they are all single-wound for obvious reasons.  I needed to
use one only once.  It's no fun trying to remove windings of that size
to make it fit, believe me.

Regards, Clyde