tubby bass string replacement tip

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Sun, 26 Oct 2003 08:50:10 -0500

Oh, I know Clyde. But I thought as long as he had his flame suit =
on........=20

I do the same thing (now here's a big admission folks) when talking to =
non-piano-sophisticated clients - I will substitute the term "Steinway" =
for high-quality piano because of the name recognition thing. Pathetic =
isn't it? But I have to say I don't use that term in that manner when =
interacting with other piano professionals.

Sorry for what amounted to a cheap attack. I snapped. That's about the =
meanest thing I do though.    :-)    The other numerous bad things I do =
are mainly stupid.

Terry Farrell
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Clyde Hollinger=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Sent: Sunday, October 26, 2003 6:53 AM
  Subject: Re: tubby bass string replacement tip

  Terry, just substitute "a high quality instrument" for "Steinway" and =
I think you'll get what Tom meant.  He just mentioned Steinway because =
we are more likely to run into them.  Picking that name to represent =
quality instruments seems logical to me.  I think he was expecting to be =
flamed because of the idea of maybe leaving in the piano a string of the =
wrong size.=20
  Tom, are you aware that there are universal strings available larger =
than #1?  Schaff has sizes 01 through 06 with outside diameters going up =
to .194, but they are all single-wound for obvious reasons.  I needed to =
use one only once.  It's no fun trying to remove windings of that size =
to make it fit, believe me.=20

  Regards, Clyde=20

  Farrell wrote:=20

    Tighten your flame suit collar. Would you do it to a Mason & Hamlin? =
A Bosendorfer? A Bechstein? A remanufactured Behr Bros? A remanufactured =
Wissner? A remanufactured Bush & Lane? A remanufactured Weber? Why would =
you single out a Steinway & SOns? Do you have a Pierce Atlas? Check it =
out, there are/were more high-quality manufacturers than just Steinway & =
SOns. Terry Farrell=20