Soundboard measurement/micrometer

Crashvalve@aol.com Crashvalve@aol.com
Mon, 27 Oct 2003 07:56:48 EST

for list:
After consulting with Starrett tool I decided to modify an old #440 depth
mike by end drilling a .020 hole in the anvil to accept a variety of miniscule
probes. This tool   measures literally through the soundboard (hence the small
probe O.D., think nervous piano teacher) quite accurately for thickness.
Primarily if one were to hand plane/scrape a new board this would be handy. To drill
the hole I use a 3/16 inch block of aluminum with a .020 hole predrilled in
it to act as a guide, and a pin vise for the drill. BTW this is in the 60-80
number series of drill bits. If you want tech.details just ask, there are
pitfalls to be avoided.
This is a "fringe" tool to be sure, just thought some might like to hear.
Glenn C.