Spreading flanges on Steinway upright

Bill Ballard yardbird@vermontel.net
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 07:20:05 -0500

At 2:26 PM -0600 10/27/03, R Moody wrote:
>Also is there a source for individual jacks?  I hate to buy a whole new
>wip assembly just because a jack lost its heel.
>Schaff and Pianotek don't show them.

Ric,

I've got a brown bag of stray Stwy vertical parts. Email me a a photo
(also containg a machinst rule, for reference).

I've seen spreading wippen flanges, but in a HS practice room Baldwin
243. They were the result of flange screws being cranked down during
the extremely dry  months, and six months around the annual cycle,
the flanges. puffing up and around the winter-tightened fasteners.
Have you taken a flange off and examined it on a flat surface
(granite surface block or cast iron machine top)?

Bill Ballard RPT
NH Chapter, P.T.G.

"I gotta go ta woik...."
     ...........Ian Shoales, Duck's Breath Mystery Theater