Haines grand rep springs (again)

J Patrick Draine draine@comcast.net
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 20:24:16 -0500

On Tuesday, October 28, 2003, at 07:10  PM, Farrell wrote:

> Thanks for the photo. I think now it is clear that this is a single=20
> escapement

Nope it's double -- take a look at that paper clip balancier tip!

> action with a modern capstain. I would be surprised if this were=20
> actually manufactured in 1931.

Not me. I've encountered several of these, enough to make me recoil at=20=

the word "Haines" just as much as "Kranich & Bach" (who probably were=20
the Haines' neighbors, and fellow prolific patent filers).

> Could it be older?
> =A0
> Tell us more about this action.

Usually the customer is busy telling you how their decorator found it=20
for them and what a terrific job the refinisher did, as the rep springs=20=

shatter with your every test blow, and as you're doing a half tone=20
pitch raise but the pins won't hold and you're wondering why oh why you=20=

went into this career, and the customer is wailing that you're=20
destroying their Antique Piano etc. Ah yes, that first year in the=20
craft.
A recurrent nightmare fueled by real events from a  long time ago ....

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched
Size: 1499 bytes