Hardener/Softener

Keith McGavern kam544@gbronline.com
Tue, 28 Oct 2003 23:34:42 -0600

At 8:48 PM -0500 10/28/03, Piannerman@aol.com wrote:
>>Anyone have any experience using the hammer hardener or hammer
>>softener stuff sold by Pianotek?  Results?  Any hammers that this
>>stuff shouldn't be used on (in favor of what)?  Thanks for your
>>help.

Seems the responses have been short coming, and understandably.
You've asked a question that has manifold answers.

So I'll say this, Piannerman, I've got experience with both items.

And have I had results? Yes, lots of results.

And what I've learned is you have to find out for yourself ultimately
when one will work, and when it won't. There are no pat answers
because every set of hammers is different.

So what does one do?

Start reading the Pianotech archives about people's experiences at
https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/

Use search words like hammer softner, hammer steaming, hammer hardner.

In your search you'll find several others on this list who have
documented their approaches, success and some failures.

Enjoy,

Keith McGavern
Registered Piano Technician
Oklahoma Chapter 731