Hardener/Softener

Barbara Richmond piano57@flash.net
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 08:29:34 -0600

Re: Hardener/SoftenerThe big hammer softener/steaming discussion I =
remember taking part on is in the archives in and around May '95.

Barbara Richmond, RPT
somewhere near Peoria, IL

  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Keith McGavern=20
  To: Pianotech=20
  Cc: Piannerman@aol.com=20
  Sent: Tuesday, October 28, 2003 11:34 PM
  Subject: Re: Hardener/Softener

  At 8:48 PM -0500 10/28/03, Piannerman@aol.com wrote:
      Anyone have any experience using the hammer hardener or hammer =
softener stuff sold by Pianotek?  Results?  Any hammers that this stuff =
shouldn't be used on (in favor of what)?  Thanks for your help.

  Seems the responses have been short coming, and understandably.
  You've asked a question that has manifold answers.

  So I'll say this, Piannerman, I've got experience with both items.

  And have I had results? Yes, lots of results.

  And what I've learned is you have to find out for yourself ultimately =
when one will work, and when it won't. There are no pat answers because =
every set of hammers is different.

  So what does one do?

  Start reading the Pianotech archives about people's experiences at
  https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/pianotech.php/

  Use search words like hammer softner, hammer steaming, hammer hardner.

  In your search you'll find several others on this list who have =
documented their approaches, success and some failures.

  Enjoy,

  Keith McGavern
  Registered Piano Technician
  Oklahoma Chapter 731