ringing

Tvak@aol.com Tvak@aol.com
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 22:06:01 EST

In a message dated 10/29/03 4:10:06 PM, edwithen@oregontrail.net writes:

> I even blocked the F#3 string itself, and it goes "Bonk" when the hammer
> strikes but continues singing the tone the same as before.

Ed,

Did you check the dampers for 'follow-through'?   (You didn't mention this as
one of the things you checked.)   Press on the strings with your fingers and
see if each damper moves with the string.   If the damper doesn't move when
the string is pushed away from it, then it doesn't have enough pressure on the
string to dampen it properly.

If this is the case, check to see if there is some lost motion in the sustain
pedal.   There should be.   While you're depressing the pedal, look at those
dampers and see if any of the dampers in question are the FIRST to move.   If
they are, the damper rod maybe keeping the dampers from putting enough
pressure on the string to dampen it.
Bend the damper wires so that they lift at the same time as their neighbors.

You did say that you adjusted the pedal...so that's probably not it.

Do the offending dampers start to lift almost immediately when the key is
depressed?   Maybe the spoon is keeping the damper from full contact with the
string.   (No 'follow through'.)

Here's one more easy thing to check: are the bolts or screws that attach the
action to the plate tight?   Your problem notes are all in the middle, maybe
one of the screws at the tenor or treble break is not tightened down...

Hope this helps,

Tom Sivak