No Pain Square Grand Tuning Lever/ Terry

Joseph Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 29 Oct 2003 20:03:19 -0800

Terry Said: "Below are two photos of my square grand tuning solution. Double
ended
oval tuning tips are set at 90 degrees to one another. A real back
saver. It's easiest to stand while tuning - just so you can see the
tuning pins - but this pretty much eliminates any leaning."

Terry Farrell

Terry,
Talk about Rube Goldberg!<G> There's two problems with this set-up: 1. Your
chance of setting the pin(s) are zilch to none. 2. In the first photo the
hammer, (main shank) is set at the wrong angle to the strings. Tuning lever
should be as parallel to the string, being tuned as possible. I suggest
losing the 2"x 2"'s and put a 12" handle on the main shaft. You may have to
bend a slight bit, but you will achieve some stability in the tuning and
have less possibility of bending the pins. (The olde tuning pins, of the
"oval" type were fairly soft steel and will bend very easily!) Unless you
are less than 5'8" tall, there is no need to use such an "apparatus". BTW,
the metal work looks first rate. Shame the rest is so "dufus-like".<G>

Joe Garrett, RPT, (Oregon)
Captain, Tool Police
Squares Are I