Make a soundboard--Measurements

Erwinspiano@aol.com Erwinspiano@aol.com
Thu, 30 Oct 2003 21:05:44 EST

In a message dated 10/30/2003 12:51:16 PM Pacific Standard Time,
Erwinspiano@aol.com wrote:
> I lay out the ribs across the top of the case and over the rib
> notch,then mark the rib on the under side next to the rim.

Dale,

Why not do it this way?

After the panel is fitted to the case use it to mark out the rib
lengths. In the photo the panel may look a little funny. The top and
bottom surfaces are just as they came from the panel press and have not
yet been planned and sanded.

John Hartman RPT
 HI John
  Great picture. I haven't quite absorbed how your locating the ribs on the
board yet but I have some ideas. With the board fit to the case are you then
marking from underneath on the panel at the notches? or just taking the overall
length of the ribs from existing original ribs. Fill me in I'm feeling a bit
dense on this one.
   The way I  usually proceed is to make my ribs, crown, radius the back, cut
the cutouts & sand the cut outs & rib end thickness/width  till they fit the
notches snugly in the case. I have the panel dried down out this point.
    Then I lay out the panel as Ron N. described on the rim, mark, cut it
then chalk & sand the board edges till I get it to fit snug, all the while being
supported by the ribs, which I like. With the ribs in place I pencil mark rib
ends that fit on the belly notches (next to the case) so that I can use that
as a guide to draw the glue joint across the belly rail portion of the board.
After that I finish sand the bottom of board, put a small pin thru the rib ends
pointing up & then press the board down onto the nails.
  While still in this position I scribe the glue joint from underneath where
I can reach. I then Pull the board out finish drawing the belly glue joint
line from the rib markings on to the board.
  David, Sitka panels that are tongue & groove construction such as the ones
John & Rick Wheeler make are very strong even without ribs. It would just be
carelessness or dumb luck to break one. Do you feel lucky
  DAle