piano moving/lyre

Allan Gilreath agilreath@mindspring.com
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 08:14:13 -0500

Allen,

Moving Equipment Makers was started (and the products developed) by
Harry Day in Duluth, GA.  He sold the company to a fellow up in Toccoa,
GA who then moved down to Florida then later closed the business.  In
addition to the Grand Chariot, they built some great tools like the
Grand Stand (support for removing the leg), metal skids and ramps, and
some fabulous dollies including pneumatic tire and even the 6-wheeled
all-terrain dolly.  I've been talking with Harry some and have wondered
how much interest there would be from the list folk in these particular
products.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Allen Wright
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 12:51 AM
To: Pianotech
Subject: Re: piano moving/lyre

Allan,

I agree - the Piano Horse is a wonderful tool, and makes the job of
moving
grands much less stressful. It supports in the same way as the lyre,
only
better because of the smooth roll involved in getting the piano onto
it's
side. It's a beautiful thing.

For any of you that haven't seen the Horse, picture a 1/4 slice of pie.
That's the shape of the frame, basically, which is fit under the front
part
of the piano (under the keyframe), with a threaded post (for support)
that
screws out against the leg opposite the side that's being dropped onto
the
sled.

There used to be a grand sled called the Piano Chariot, which had
lockable
wheels, which meant you could move grands without any lifting
whatsoever.
These two in combination made the perfect moving tools, in my opinion.
I'm
not sure the company is still in business, since I just tried the
website
address I had saved a couple years back and it didn't come up. They were
in
Atlanta, or thereabouts. Anybody know what happened to them? They were
called Moving Equipment Makers. They had moved from I think Tennessee
down
to Atlanta with a change of ownership, but perhaps the company didn't
survive the change.

Allen Wright

https://www.moypiano.com/ptg/files/attachments/4e/48/2e/c7/lyreprop.jpg