piano moving/lyre

Phil Romano romano@sccoast.net
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 09:17:38 -0500

There would be great interest from me. I saw these products at the
national in Orlando about ten years ago and would have purchased some
but they went out of business before I had the chance. I was
particularly interested in the sled.

On the subject of moving on the lyre...

In the last few years as a touring technician, I have been moving pianos
all over the North America, Europe (I've done about every ruin there is
to do in Italy!), Japan and even moved a piano into Red Square, Moscow.
Mostly, these were Yamahas (the same one every night) but a few
Steinways. I have done every set up on the lyre and never had a problem.
In my local business, I rent a C-7 and set it up and down on the lyre
--again never a problem. However, when I need to bring an old grand into
the shop I never use the lyre. Many older grand lyre WON'T take the
strain so just use your best judgement and be  careful!

Phil Romano
Myrtle Beach, SC

-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Allan Gilreath
Sent: Friday, October 31, 2003 8:14 AM
To: 'Pianotech'
Subject: RE: piano moving/lyre

Allen,

Moving Equipment Makers was started (and the products developed) by
Harry Day in Duluth, GA.  He sold the company to a fellow up in Toccoa,
GA who then moved down to Florida then later closed the business.  In
addition to the Grand Chariot, they built some great tools like the
Grand Stand (support for removing the leg), metal skids and ramps, and
some fabulous dollies including pneumatic tire and even the 6-wheeled
all-terrain dolly.  I've been talking with Harry some and have wondered
how much interest there would be from the list folk in these particular
products.

Allan
Allan L. Gilreath, RPT