Dopey to dope?

Andrew & Rebeca Anderson anrebe@zianet.com
Fri, 31 Oct 2003 15:56:59 -0700

         Dittos on a DamppChaser system.  The long term benefits far
outweigh the up-front cost.  Maintaining a stable environment in the piano
makes a significant difference (ie obvious to the technician on followup
appointments).  Elimination of the annual humidity cycle adds years,
probably decades to the life of the pinblock and soundboard, even in a
grand.  The humidity/dehumidification cycles all through the piano (closing
the lid helps) ;-).
         I installed this system on a Steinway in Aspen CO after having to
do a significant pitch raise and being unsatisfied with pin torque.  The
followup tuning in two weeks later was like working with the ideal piano
(no more action dragging on its neighbors either).  It sure beats
re-pinning and installing new action pieces to match a seasonal fluctuation
that will only redevelop.  In alpine Colorado relative humidity can
fluctuate from the fifties to the low single digits.  Oh, btw, your tunings
will last much longer too, which might be a good thing depending on how
your schedule looks.
         Loose tuning pins can develop from furniture polish (oil)
sometimes utilized by unwitting housekeepers on the innards of a
piano.  The only solution I'm aware of there is to re-bore and size up the
pins.  Hope it isn't this.

Best of luck,
Andrew