damper problem (probably just stupidity on my part)

Wed, 01 Dec 2004 14:28:00 +0100

Assuming you have good quality and condition damperfelt then basically, you
have just a few basic issues that contribute to good damper function.

1. -- Regulation, which you say (at least with regard to timing) is correct.
2. -- Damper pressure on the strings. Spring strength in most uprights.
3. -- Damper size, and position on the strings.
4. -- The mass of the dampers and head.

no doubt more things could be listed up here.. but these are amoung the
primary concerns.

As far as I can see, you've insured the basic timing is correct, but the
other three points you have not commented on. So I would check these out.
Try increasing spring tension a bit on a few notes. Also ascertain whether
or not your new dampers are sitting on relavant string nodes. You may also
try adding a bit of mass to the damper heads to see if any change is made as
a result of that.

Another suggestion is to see if the damper leak is primarilly related to
bass strings or indeed even over the entire piano. Mute off the entire bass
with a towel or your arm or some such contrivance and play the middle
section to see if these notes then damp significanltly better.

Otherwise, suggestions as to reading articles in the journal are a good idea
to follow up. Not mentioned so far is Del Fandrichs articles on the subject.
Well worth a read.

Cheers
RicB