Pitch Raising Techniques

Thu, 02 Dec 2004 18:26:51 +0100

David Ilvedson wrote:

> Speaking of archaic, I typically don't overpull at all.   1/2 step
> flat?   Up to pitch.  2nd pass up to pitch and 3rd pass in the tenor
> and leave where it lies.
>
> David I.

Have to concur. I typically do a kind of overlap tuning routin for pitch
raises. I start by roughing in an f3 - f4 temperament, then quickly
exand that to f2 - f5. Then I start over refining the temperament, a
rough refinement on the first expansion, then pulling up the rest of the
piano to match. Finnally, I fine tune the piano. This method works very
well for me as long as we are in the 50 cent range or less.

For major pitch raises I just use Tunelab and tune the whole piano
quickly to 444, then do as mentioned above.

btw... my recent experiences in Japan has led me to conclude that the
one hour wonder pitch raise and "fine tuning" is a suspect concept at
best. :)

Cheers
RicB