Pitch Raising Techniques

Wed, 01 Dec 2004 21:26:26 +0100

Hi Quentin.

I have heard so many different <<theories>> about what does and doesnt
happen to the piano during pitch raises I could write a medium size book
about it :)  Well, ok thats an overstatement... but just so.  I have yet
to find any one particular of these shown to be true, and personally
believe it doenst really make any real significant difference which way
you go about it.  I find that starting in the middle and working
outwards both ways works well for me, but I think thats more a matter of
what I am most comfortable with then anything else. In the end, as long
as you dont get into any draconian proceedures I think you are pretty
safe from doing any real damage to the piano.  If you are raising pitch
300 cents or so... well then perhaps you might want to raise things a
bit more evenly... just to be on the safe side.  But for usual piano
work I think most of these kinds of concerns are rather overstated.

Cheers
RicB