Voicing (was Back again)

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 14:05:03 -0800 (PST)

Welcome back, Ric.  Can you describe the procedure
they use to loosen up the hammers?

Vladan

===============

>Hi Richard,
>
>Those really hard hammers are going sound like s**t
as soon as the voicer leaves...;-]

>David I.

Actually... they dont.  I watched with my own eyes
these fellows and if
you loosen them up right, they sound great and stay
that way. That
said... its a lot of work and I still dont understand
why they press
them so hard to begin with. Seems like a lot of extra
work for no real
good reason. A certain degree of tension in the
hammers is for sure
needed if one is to approach voicing in the
traditional manner.... but
beyond that I dont get it.

Cheers
RicB