Pitch Raising Techniques

pianolover 88 pianolover88@hotmail.com
Wed, 01 Dec 2004 15:55:39 -0800

<<The 32% in the upper treble will most likely get someone in a world of
hurt! Most strings, in that area, are already at/above 50% of their breaking
strength!!! >>

I do a LOT of PR work, mostly on older, neglected verts & grands. I use my
SAT lll to calculate overpull, usually none in bass, then 25% in mid and 33%
in treble, tuning only center strings as I go. whether the piano is 10c or
100c+ flat, i **RARELY** break any strings whatsover. Usually always end up
within 2-5 cents of A440, (after one pass) regardless of initial
flatness/sharpness. I truly believe part of this is due to technique, and
also because I ALWAYS lube the bearing points; usually with protek.  Could
just be good luck too!
Terry Peterson

----Original Message Follows----
From: &quot;Joe Garrett&quot; &lt;joegarrett@earthlink.net&gt;
To: &quot;pianotech&quot; &lt;pianotech@ptg.org&gt;
Subject: Re: Pitch Raising Techniques
Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2004 07:48:11 -0800

David Love said: &quot;15% overpull in the bass, 25% in the midrange, 32% in
the upper range.
On small spinets, reduce the numbers by 5% each.   Do unisons as you
go.&quot;

David,
I must take exception to this technique! Although, it will work most of the
time on most Olde Uprights and Grands, there is always the exception. This
technique is archaic, to say the least. There are better ways. The 32% in
the upper treble will most likely get someone in a world of hurt! Most
strings, in that area, are already at/above 50% of their breaking
strength!!! You raise it another 32% and strings will break, IMO. I've done
some studying on the subject and wrote an article for the PTJ, in Dec. 1999.
Regards,
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I