Nose Bolts

Farrell mfarrel2@tampabay.rr.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 19:24:16 -0500

I'm working on a piano that has smallish nuts that snug the plate to the =
nose bolts. They are about 3/4-inch in diameter and have a screwdriver =
slot across the center. You cannot use a screwdriver though because the =
nosebolt extends up through the nut. Clearly, the ideal tool to tighten =
them would be a large version of the supply-house tool made for smaller =
versions of these types of nuts like you would find on the key hold-down =
rail (what is that thing called?). Does any such tool exist? Has anyone =
made such a tool? What do others use to drive these nuts?

As always, they have been partially mangled by others using poorly =
improvised tools. I will be refinishing them and the plate and wish to =
do things properly. Any ideas? Thanks.

Terry Farrell