Nosebolts

Joe Garrett joegarrett@earthlink.net
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 18:39:02 -0800

Terry asked: "I'm working on a piano that has smallish nuts that snug =
the plate to the =3D
nose bolts. They are about 3/4-inch in diameter and have a screwdriver =
=3D
slot across the center. You cannot use a screwdriver though because the =
=3D
nosebolt extends up through the nut. Clearly, the ideal tool to tighten =
=3D
them would be a large version of the supply-house tool made for smaller =
=3D
versions of these types of nuts like you would find on the key hold-down =
=3D
rail (what is that thing called?). Does any such tool exist? Has anyone =
=3D
made such a tool? What do others use to drive these nuts?

As always, they have been partially mangled by others using poorly =3D
improvised tools. I will be refinishing them and the plate and wish to =
=3D
do things properly. Any ideas? Thanks".

Terry,
I've run into these many times. My tool of choice is screwdriver bit, as =
used in a brace and bit. I cut a round bottom slot into the blade so =
that the "bolt" clears, (which also helps to keep the bit aligned.)
As for that "whatchamacallit"? It's called a Key Upstop Rail!!! Sheesh! =
Read Mason PLEASE!???? (And memorize it.<G>)
Best Regards,=20
Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain, Tool Police
Squares R I