Questions & WARNING--Gimme a break!

Alan tune4u@earthlink.net
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 22:02:20 -0600

Hi. I'm back.
=20
Little background, then two questions and a WARNING that might save some =
of
you a real headache, someday :
=20
Working on a magnificent 1890 Kranich & Bach that is really in amazing
condition--given to a small church as a freebie! It has steel strings =
but ... they sound good! And I've heard steel that sounds bad, believe
me--thud, thud.
=20
Pinblock did require a heavy application of CA that I applied more than =
week before tuning.. Then, doing a pitch raise (average about 35 cents),
four wound strings went bang, breaking at the coil. I was pretty careful =
and
I don't get a lot of breaks even though I see a lot of oooold beaters in =
my
areas--only had two or three go on me all year, until today. Coils were
slightly rusted, not bad, and I CLP lubed the coils and v-bar before
starting.
=20
I turned all strings DOWN on the first pull in order to break (pop!) the =
CA
grip on the pins, but maybe there was still a pretty good grip on pins =
of
the broken strings because it seems like they were offering a lot of
resistance just before the string gave.
=20
Questions:
=20
1. Anyone else have strings breaking after heavy, thoroughly dried CA? =
Any
ideas to prevent trouble?
=20
2. Does anyone duplicate steel-wound strings, or must I get copper subs? =
And
who REALLY knows how to dup a steel string in copper that will =
reasonably
work in the scale?
=20
Warning:
=20
A tilted upright piano can leak CA onto the nice lady's rug! It's only
happened this once, but know that it can. In this case, it ran under the
plate and found its way out the back of the piano. I will ALWAYS spread =
drop cloth & newspaper under there in future!=20
=20
As you may have guessed, this was not a terribly happy day for me in the
piano biz.
=20
Sighing in Salem,
=20