Key Bushing removal

Richard Cromwell rcromwell1@msn.com
Wed, 1 Dec 2004 23:44:50 -0500

Yes David, you're totally correct. I don't like how some bushing material
sticks to the broach either.  So I just carve the gunk off after it has
cooled using a utility knife.  Because I use the broaches that are the same
size as the bushing cauls when ironing, I don't care if the tapered broach I
use for bushing removal gets goofed up in the process (which it really
doesn't anyway).  Nonetheless, gunk on the broach and the smell of vaporized
wallpaper remover aside . our method does seem to work pretty darn well.
Good luck on your never-ending search for the elusive better way :-)!

R.Cromwell

Chptr 481

  _____

From: pianotech-bounces@ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces@ptg.org] On Behalf
Of David Ilvedson
Sent: Wednesday, December 01, 2004 9:00 PM
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Subject: RE: Key Bushing removal

This is what I do and I'm looking for a better way.  I don't like how the
bushings can stick to the tool.

David I.

From: Richard Cromwell <rcromwell1@msn.com>
To: 'Pianotech' <pianotech@ptg.org>

I also soak the old bushings with a 5:1 wallpaper-remover: water solution
from a hypo-oiler.  After letting them sit for awhile, I come back and soak
them again.  Then I heat up my key-bushing iron to 200 degrees and using a
tapered broach, insert it into the mortise - basically steaming each bushing
individually. The bushings will then usually come out without too much fuss.

R.Cromwell

Chptr 481

  _____