How often do you tune your piano?

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 07:13:43 -0600

Dave,

Yeah, that's what happens here.

A.  Tune every 3 or 4 months, when Wisconsin weather messes up the 5ths and octaves at the tenor break.

B.  I keep a tuning hammer and felt wedge at the piano for unison touchup as needed.  I also will do tuning practice on this piano, for example when there's an interesting tuning article in the journal, or on this list.

C.  Last service, earlier this year: hammer filing, lube, touch up regulation, and touch up voicing.

D.  Next service: install DamppChaser, see A. above.

Mike
To: pianotech@ptg.org
Sent: 12/2/2004 12:36:41 AM
Subject: How often do you tune your piano?

Hi all,

A silly thread, perhaps, but I'm kind of curious about this.

Do we all suffer from "the gardener's yard is full of weeds" syndrome?  Honestly, how often do you tune your OWN piano?  Do you do it as often as you recommend your clients do theirs?

And what other work have you done on it in the last few "service calls?"

Since I asked the questions, I'll give the first answers.

I tune my piano whenever the killer octave starts sounding really nasty, usually ever 4 months or so(too much climate change in my place, and the player--me--hammers on it kinda hard).

Last "service call":

Touched up the regulation.

Did a light sanding of hammers.

Teflonned knuckles.