Heavily played newish Mason gets "strident" too quickly...

David Andersen bigda@gte.net
Thu, 02 Dec 2004 09:29:14 -0800

> Renner Blue hammers...nuff said.
>
> David Ilvedson.

Please don't dismiss Renner hammers out of hand; some sets can be hard, and
difficult to get where you want; most sets are medium hard, and with good
pre-voicing, can be made to sing, and stay in that singing zone.
Ask Dale Erwin, who in the past has resolutely sworn off "high compression"
hammers, what the 2 pianos with Renner Wurzen hammers of mine that he's
heard sound like.

The bottom line is that you have to be courageous & knowledgeable with a
long needle (11-12mm) very, very close to the strike point and the "sacred
area" to get what you want from most high tension hammers. If you know how
to do that, you're golden.

I tried to explain this technique once, and the Journal reprinted it, but
they got the picture of the move wrong.

If you really, really want to know what I do, call me, and I'll explain it
to you over the phone.  310-403-4559.

My best to all you tone-obsessed ladies and gents.....

David Andersen