Beats vs cycles vs cents

V T pianovt@yahoo.com
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 12:18:12 -0800 (PST)

Hello Julia,

One way to understand the cent is to think of it like
this:

Any tone and the one that is one cent above/below it
are related by a factor of 1.000577790.

Example: A440 = 440 Hz
One cent above A 440 will be 440 times 1.000577790 =
440.2542276 Hz.

When you multiply 440 Hz one hundred times by that
factor, you will get to A sharp exactly.

Hz=cycle/sec

Hope that helps.

Vladan

Greetings,

            I know this is a delayed response on this
thread,  but I am
confused.

           Granted that 1/100th of a half step is a
different numeric value
for each note of the piano, but 1/100th of a half step
is always 100 divided
into the munber of cycles (or distance) from one half
step to the next succesive
half step up (or down) isnt it?

Julia
PA

In a message dated 3/15/2004 7:08:48 PM Eastern
Standard Time,
eromlignod@kc.rr.com writes:

> There are 100 cents in a half-step (semitone), but a
cent is *not* 1/100th
> of a half-step.

(100 cents is always a half-step no matter how high or
low the
frequency is.