Just Wondering

Isaac Sadigursky irs.pianos@earthlink.net
Thu, 2 Dec 2004 22:54:21 -0800

In my case 3-car garage became my shop. 3 folding tables,a dozen+plus big file cabinets with commonly used parts,set-up to fix actions,benches,music desks,pedal lyres,the most common stuff,etc.Air compressor for cleaning jobs,drill press,table,band saw,plenty of clamps,cheap labor from kids when they were growing-up and it becomes a routine.Just remember to keep peace with neighbors and life in suburbia can be beutiful.I can't imagine a busy technician operating every-day service calls without a shop,and it becomes a necessity to survive in the pianoland jungle.,especially working for school districts.No refinishing can be done in the residential area,but light repairs-yes and it's a big convenience,too.No overhead by renting  in the industrial area,I work in the shop 1 day a week and try to process all jobs I accumulate during the week.If there is a need to do uinexpected project-I can do it late in the evening and skip watching Jerry Springer {just  kidding].Any other thoughts? Hope to see you in Kansas City in the summer. Best regards. Isaac

----- Original Message -----
From: lgulli2586
To: Pianotech
Sent: 12/2/04 6:07:55 AM
Subject: Just Wondering

Hi list......
I am an avid reader of the archives. Quite often I hear people refer to their shop. I wondered if the shop is in your house, and another building on site...or a separate building with public access.  Also after 5 years in business what is reasonable to expect number of tunings weekly, repairs, rebuilds, refinishing etc. Do you do all the above, none of the above.
I dont have much to compare to and am curious to see where I stand...or should I consider a new direction. FWIW I hope to achieve RPT in 2005.

Richard