string breakage warning

Fri, 03 Dec 2004 07:15:32 -0600

At 04:56 12/3/2004 -0800, you wrote:
>Hi Doug,
>
>Simply say to the client, "there is a possibility of
>string failure". Don't make a big deal of it.
>
>Strings can fail even when very small changes in pitch
>are made.
>
>The only time it is the tuner's fault is when the
>lever is on the wrong pin.
>
>If you are making a significant (say 50 cents or more)
>pitch correction it is also prudent to say. "The plate
>may fail."
>
> >I still have to learn how to warn customers when to
>tell >them a string might break.
>
>=====
>Regards,
>Don Rose,

True, true, true...  I've had strings pop on me as I was lowering them to
try to break that corrosion bond.

"I didn't break it, but I _was_ witness to it's demise..."

If the tension of the string is at 25-60% of breaking strength when it is
at pitch, you really have to go out of your way to break it.  Next time you
have a few spare minutes, a victim piano and your stringing supply all
together in one place, try breaking a string (plain wire,
please...).   Play it while you are cranking up the tension. You'll be
amazed how high it is before it starts to fail (plastic deformation) and
finally breaks.  [also a good demo for that customer who INSISTS that you
broke that string during that once-a-score tuning]

Conrad Hoffsommer, RPT, MPT, CCT, PFP, ACS, CRS.
Decorah, IA

- Certified Calibration Technician for Bio-powered Digitally Activated
Lever Action Tone Generation Systems.
- Pianotech Flamesuit Purveyor
- American Curmudgeon Society - Apprentice Member and Founder