Just Wondering

Michael Spalding spalding48@earthlink.net
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 07:42:05 -0600

Richard,

My shop is in the basement.  From where I looked at it, separate building was just too expensive.  Doing it in-home, you've got no additional rent/mortgage, or taxes, in fact you've got the home office deduction on whatever square footage you claim as shop.   In my case, we designed and built the house 3 years ago to include the shop, built into a hillside to expose two sides of the basement, with a paved drive down to the basement door.   Aproximately 1100 square feet with 9' ceiling.  The only problem is it keeps filling up with pianos ;-).  And, I'm still trying to create enough storage space for action parts, tools, disassembled case parts, etc.

Business-wise, I'm in my 5th year of fulltime, doing a little more rebuilding and repairing than tuning, and still a little more dependant on referrals from other techs than I would like (when their business gets slow, so does mine), although I am EXTREMELY grateful for those referrals.  Customer base, and customer referrals are steadily increasing, so I know that in the long run I'm moving towards self-sufficiency.

I've talked about the referrals from other techs on this list before.  Join the PTG, attend all the meetings, use every opportunity to learn from the other members and show them how interested you are in improving your abilities.  Take all your RPT exams locally, if possible, so your local colleagues know your capabilities (obviously, make sure you're really ready for the exams or this could backfire).  Well established techs need to have backups they can trust with their reputations.

best of luck

Mike

----- Original Message -----
From: lgulli2586
To: Pianotech
Sent: 12/2/2004 8:07:55 AM
Subject: Just Wondering

Hi list......
I am an avid reader of the archives. Quite often I hear people refer to their shop. I wondered if the shop is in your house, and another building on site...or a separate building with public access.  Also after 5 years in business what is reasonable to expect number of tunings weekly, repairs, rebuilds, refinishing etc. Do you do all the above, none of the above.
I dont have much to compare to and am curious to see where I stand...or should I consider a new direction. FWIW I hope to achieve RPT in 2005.

Richard