Perfect pitch and aging (was perfect pitch discussion

Bec and John bjsilva001@comcast.net
Fri, 3 Dec 2004 18:45:05 -0500

Hi Jean,

Just to answer your questions:

> However,=A0 Bec's mail raises another question : Can one develop some=20=

> internal "automatic translate function"

I'm not sure I'd call it a translation, but maybe something like that.=20=

I had to learn the french horn well enough to play in a concert once, I=20=

only spent a few weeks on it. It was a real pain to read the music=20
since the horn is in F - i.e. reading a D but hearing a G, but using=20
the same fingerings from a trumpet in bflat! Though, toward the end of=20=

playing it, I felt the very beginnings of starting to feel the horn's C=20=

(an F) as a C.

> Now, does Bec imply that his perception of pitch is related to the=20
> sound of the instrument ? I mean, does a (standard) C, played on a=20
> trumpet, sound like a D to him ?

I wouldn't say it's related to the timbre of the instrument, but at the=20=

time listening to or playing the trumpet definitely would shift my=20
perception of what a C is. And yes, at that time a standard C would=20
sound like a D if played on a trumpet.

> And what about the same pitch played on a Eb Euphonium, high up the=20
> scale ?

I think it's related in some weird way to reading music. I've never=20
played and read music for an instrument in eflat, so a C on an Eb=20
instrument would sound like an eflat to me.

- John

http://www.musicianbrain.com/projects_absolute.html=20
> [...]

>  I still prefer this other theory relating to the perception of time :=20=

> Seems that the older you get, the faster time seems to flow, be it for=20=

> large scale events (months looking like weeks) or smaller dimension=20
> events (the ability to perceive very small time intervals) . Can't=20
> remember where I read that -probably in Science or Nature or La=20
> Recherche ( French equivalent of the formers) but I will have a look.
>
>  Giovanna Marini, the great Italian singer and composer, says she=20
> can't listen to her childhood preferred classic tunes because they=20
> sound "out of tune", about a semitone sharp.=A0 She now composes =
without=20
> a keyboard...
>
>  However,=A0 Bec's mail raises another question : Can one develop some=20=

> internal "automatic translate function" ? Playing a transposing=20
> instrument represents a challenge. Jazz saxophone players tend not to=20=

> double on different pitched instruments. A Tenor (Bb) sax could double=20=

> on the soprano (Bb, one octave higher) but rarely on the alto or=20
> barytone sax (Eb).=A0
>  Now, does Bec imply that his perception of pitch is related to the=20
> sound of the instrument ? I mean, does a (standard) C, played on a=20
> trumpet, sound like a D to him ? That would be interesting (and,=20
> besides, confusing when listening to a trumpet concerto...)=A0 And =
what=20
> about the same pitch played on a Eb Euphonium, high up the scale ?
>
>  However, a conductor has to read scores with quite a few transposing=20=

> instruments mixed together. How do they achieve that when silently=20
> reading the score ?
>
>  AP can obviouly be a blessing (some relate to it as "colourful=20
> listening" as opposed to "black and white"), but also a big problem=20
> when this ability cannot be disconnected. Church organ players can be=20=

> in big trouble on ancient, historical instruments. I have an exemple=20=

> nearby, where an 18 th century organ has been restored, and playing a=20=

> C will give you an E flat...=A0 Go for=A0 some intricate Bach's=A0=20
> contrepoint on it : When your hand goes from keyboard to keyboard,=20
> you're bound to be a minor third away from where you intended to=20
> land... Then your feet will freeze and your mind will melt.
>
>  I still remember my piano teacher, who when asked to "transpose"=20
> Bach's Db Prelude in C# , found it=A0 very difficult (wow ! 12 sharps =
to=20
> add !) and, most intriguing, ended up saying it sounded "sharper",=20
> "brisky", "too brilliant", even "out of tune".=A0 For me, she was just=20=

> doing the same movements, still playng the same pitches on the ET=20
> tuned keyboard, although rather clumsily... Music is a mind bizzness.
>
> Jean Debefve
>  Belgium
>
>  PS sorry, but shouldn't this thread be=A0 O.T. -labelled ?

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: not available
Type: text/enriched
Size: 4784 bytes